News and Happenings from the Japanese Linux Pioneer

Friday, September 5, 2008

IDEA: Chicken Sitter

Gordon said...

I don't have a thermal chamber to test your devices, but I do have 4 hens that could use a babysitter. I propose, in order to give the CPU a workout, a chicken recognition program.

The hens naturally enter the coop in the evening and I close the door to keep out a wide array of predators. Since I may want to take a vacation or spend an evening on the town someday, this seems like a good job to automate. The server would view camera footage inside the coop and determine, as close to nightfall as possible, that all the hens are inside and close the door. The server could also handle daily feeding and watering duties. Email or twitter updates could also be provided.

This is a great idea! We love the thought of our servers watching over and protecting a coop of chickens!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A chicken recognition program. The very idea sounds hilarious! I love it.